Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-08 08:56:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 06:53:25 -0600
I believe that VMWare recommends having a dedicated server for VCB
(Win2k3 sp1 to be precise). We tried out this root and decided on a
3rd party solution. It works OK but could be better.

Ken

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM, tkimball
<networker-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> James Pratt wrote:
>>
>> Yes you also need to zone your networker server into your SAN fabric
>> along with the ESX luns. (Nervous yet?! - Read the VCB guide first,
>> especially if you are running RDM's in your ESX - this is very
>> important, as you must disable windows auto-mount for disk volumes and
>> do not run any MPIO software such as powerpath on the vcb server! - Also
>> read vmware's VCB manual very carefully!)
>>

> Interesting.  I kinda skimmed over the VCB docs recently but apparently
> missed the 'NW server on same SAN' part.  At that point I'd be more inclined
> to make one of the various VMWare servers (perhaps the secondary
> VirtualCenter system) a storage node and use that to service VM backups.
>
> Are there problems with such a method?
>
> --TSK
> Tim Kimball, Sungard/BRASS

> |This was sent by t.s.kimball AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

> this list. You can access the archives at

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin