Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them

2008-03-20 13:18:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:15:23 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/20/2008 12:34:00 PM:

> In regard to: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes
that...:

> >> From looking at the manual, I would need to do a:
> >
> > scanner -m \\tape0 (since I have 4 tapes dated 2007-02-28, and 3 dated
> > from a later month)
> > Once that finishes for the 1st (?) tape, I would need to do a
> >     mminfo -a -v
> > to find out the sequence of tapes that this backup job consists of.
>
> I don't think it's likely that you'll be able to run mminfo and get that
> information until you've scanned a majority of the tapes, but I could be
> wrong.

OK ... so when "scanner -m" finishes, will it prompt me for another tape?
Or do I just keep doing "scanner -m" on each tape, until I run out of
tapes?

> > What tape do I do the "scanner -m" on, tho? I have 4 tapes, that
pretty
> > much say "EOM 2007-02-28". Do I just put one in at random, and NW will
> > figure out the rest?
>
> More or less.  If I know the order, I always scan tapes in order, but
> NetWorker has generally handled it when I've scanned tapes out of order.

Allrighty ...

> > Then I do a
> >
> > scanner -i \\tape0
>
> If you know the exact path to the files you need to recover, or at least
> to the directory you need to recover, you can avoid the scanner -i and
> do a directed recover.  You won't be able to browse from the client, but
> you can pull the files (or the entire directory) back.

Luckily, I (mostly) know the path to the source files. Since they are
Loathsome Notes ... errr ... Lotus Notes .. data files, they will be
coming from \Lotus\Domino\Data\mail. I even know the filename (I think).
And I would be doing a directed recovery to a different server, of course.

> Once you have the media index rebuilt (i.e. scanner -m has finished),
> you also wouldn't need to use scanner -i on the whole tape.  You should
> be able to guess what saveset(s) you need, and just scan them.

I should, since it should be the largest saveset on the tape(s), since the
whole directory is like 275G in size.

> > And once that's done, I can go to the client that these tapes
originally
> > came from, and do a normal restore (after changing the "browse time"
to be
> > 2007-02-28 )?
>
> Yes.

I'll take a shot at it, thanks!

I'll also remember to write-protect the tape (physically). :-) (well, they
are already have the read-only tab pushed over)