Networker

Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention

2008-03-19 14:01:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:06 +0000
David Dulek wrote:
But as Michael Nored pointed out, NetWorker will use the longest period of the 2, per the field help in the pool configuration screen.

How do I configure a long enough browse policy on my monthly group and get the daily and weekly to use the shorter retention policy of the pool?

If I am missing something, let me know because having a daily, weekly, monthly, and module(s) client definitions seems like a lot of work up front but I do not see anyway around it to accomplish this task.

No you're not missing something - EMC Engineering is missing something.

It has taken them years to add this functionality of putting a retention period on the pool - and it is very welcome. It is just a shame that they didn't also add the functionality of specifying a browse period on the pool. If you look at the attributes available in the NSR pool resource there is an attribute called retention policy, but not one called browse policy.

The same happened with groups - except tantalisingly one step closer to what is really needed. For quite some time there has been a "-w" parameter to the savegrp command, which allows the browse period to be specified when manually running a group. There is an attribute of NSR group called expiration policy but sadly they have not added a corresponding attribute for browse policy to allow this parameter to be picked up when running a group from the NetWorker schedule.

I have never quite understood what the difference is between expiration (-e param to savegrp) and retention (-y param to savegrp). To me they mean the same thing.

I have also never understood why they use the word expiration when the correct word is expiry.

If you don't need such long browse periods or you can compromise on using the browse period the same as the shortest retention, then the current system works fine. Otherwise you have a problem. The only way round your situation would be a script to modify expiry and browse policies using nsrmm. Messy and unsatisfactory.