Networker

Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention

2008-03-19 12:54:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:49:43 +0000
Teresa Biehler wrote:
We have at least 3 client definitions for each client.  In fact, in some
cases (Exchange, MS SQL), we have more than 3.  We do this to get the
data retention and pool separation that we need for our daily, weekly
and monthly backups.  Initial set-up was not fun, but it is not too
difficult to manage. You do, however, need good processes including
scripting common tasks (creating clients, updating groups, etc.).

If you are doing Exchange, MS SQL, and filesystem backups for the same client, you will need multiple client resources as each of them will have different save set lists and backup commands.

However if you are backing up the same save sets with the same backup command and all that changes is the pool and/or retention you can achieve the same effect without as many client resources. All you need to do is make the client a member of multiple groups. Each of these groups can have different schedules (which overrides the schedule set on the client) and each group can be assigned to a different pool, allowing the data to be have a different retention (specified on the pool).

One slight snag may occur if the browse period is longer than any of the retention periods set on the pool - as pointed out by another poster earlier today. There is no easy solution to this - other than for the developers to have done the job properly.