Networker

Re: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting

2008-01-31 06:54:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:47:54 -0500
On Jan 28, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] Top-posting and quoting, Curtis Preston said...:

If we required (or strongly encouraged) bottom posting, then some people
might just not post, and we don't want that, right?

I personally think that's a specious argument with plenty of
counter-arguments, but ultimately my opinion on this issue doesn't
matter.

Since Stan runs the list and Temple hosts it, I think it's a decision for
the folks at Temple.

Thanks for deferring to my wishes on this subject. I am way behind in reading email so I don't know what else was said on this subject. To make a long story short, I was brought up to read top to bottom, left to right.. Its a habit I got into long ago and most other people have too (except maybe for those who natively speak Chinese or Hebrew).

For quoting long postings, it makes sense to bottom post, with reply text interspersed with quoted text with the reply immediately below the quoted text. For short postings, I also tend to reply like I am now when I write to mailing lists. For private email, I tend to top post. In short, it depends on the context. I have some colleagues who ask that I top post on emails to them because they read their emails with a Blackberry or other palm device and its a pain for them to scroll down to get to the reply text. To them, I say, tough noogies!

That being said, I honestly cannot see myself placing any mandates on this mailing list with regard to posting style. Use whatever posting style you want. That being said, individual readers who object to top posting are free to filter the posts of chronic top posters to /dev/ null if they so desire.