Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWare throughput

2007-12-04 13:36:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWare throughput
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:29:03 -0800
On our file server we have one file system that has 261GB of used space
in 1.3 million files.  It takes about 15.5 hours to back up and for the
last 12 hours only that FS and a sister FS that's about 75% of its size
are being backed up.  This is on a Windows 2K server with NetWorker
7.2.2 client.  It's backed up to a NetWorker 7.2.2 Server to one AIT-4
tape (about 25 M/Sec maximum throughput).  During that last 12 hours the
average throughput is around 7-8 M/Sec even though the tape drive is
capable of 3-4 times that.

So I think the number of files has a significant effect on the how long
a backup takes regardless of the OS in use.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon