Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWare throughput

2007-12-04 11:56:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWare throughput
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:53:00 -0500
Last time I talked to EMC about backing up Netware, there were several
"updates" that were a part of the process to the Netware servers and to
Networker.  Here is what EMC recommended to me:

For the server:
Netware 6.5 with sp 5
wsock6k update
libcsp6a update

For Networker:
Networker client 7.2
LGTsc02878 update (new set of NLMs for Networker)

I did all of this and while we are not backing up the large volume you guys
are, we have several mail servers that backup 50-60 gigs of files that are
running smoothly with good throughput.

Also, we use a network test program called Qcheck you can get free from the web
to test the speed between our networker server and clients.  Qcheck can tell
you if you are not getting the speed you should be seeing, which could point
out firewall/port issues/switch issues. etc.

Kevin

Kevin Malone
Network Administrator
Salisbury University
Information Technology  FH297
kcmalone AT salisbury DOT edu
410-543-6298

>>> Allan Nelson <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK> 12/4/2007 11:28 AM >>>
Hi
I'd be interested in the asnwer to this too.
We basically have the same issue - a 380GB volume which takes about 15-16 hours
to backup.
My hunch is that it's the number of files (1.2 million) or the poor Netware
client (7.2).

I've also setup load balancing on 2 GBe NICs but it doesn't really help.  The
bottleneck seems to be trawling through the file system.

Be interesting if anyone is getting much better throughput than this on Netware
with similar sized volumes/number of files.

Cheeers... allan.

>>> LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA 04/12/07 15:11 >>>
Fellow admins,

Just need to find out if there is something like 'bigasm' on Windows and Unix
servers which I use on my NetWare clients to test backup throughput. Somehow to
backup 500 GB of data, it is taking almost 24 hours to complete. This NetWare
server is a Dell PE 2850 with quad processor and 8 GB of RAM and connected to a
GB network.

My environment is:
Networker server v7.3.3 on Red Hat Linux ES 4 backing up to disk devices.
NetWare client/server v7.2 on NetWare v6.5 support pack 6.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

regards,

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
I.T.S
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and
may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and any copies.