Networker

Re: [Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?

2006-10-19 10:09:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:50:47 -0400
There are they types of Oracle backups:

1) Cold
   You shut down the database and all active processes and back the
datafiles up

2) Warm
   You use a script to set the tablespaces into backup mode and can
access the datafiles in a consistent manner. This impacts performance
during the backup, but doesn't cause the database to go offline. Check
out some scripts on http://www.backupcentral.com. You will need extra
diskspace to hold the copies of the datafiles, but you can then back
them up using regular legato clients

3) Hot (Oracle RMAN)
   Allows the native Oracle tool (RMAN) to use legato to manage the tape
library. Much more complicated, but provides the best and most supported
backups. If you have ever dealt with Oracle support you know how
difficult it is if you are caught in an unsupported solution and trying
to get them to help you with it.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
Dir of Operations  | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA LLC            | Phone: 914-460-4039
www.otaotr.com     | Fax: 914-460-4139