Networker

Re: [Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?

2006-10-20 09:47:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:42:45 -0400
Thanks, Matthew, for an excellent "primer". You're 100% right. I'd like to
add that there are two "flavors" to type 3, the Oracle "hot" backup via
RMAN. The target for the RMAN backups can be disk or tape.

If you use disk, you have storage costs but you don't need an NMO license:
NetWorker can back up the disk as regular files. You only need an NMO
license if you want to do RMAN direct to tape, presumably to save the cost
of disk. Both RMAN approaches are fully supported by Oracle.

Of course, I've had problems with Oracle support even when the solution is
fully supported :^(

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.