Networker

[Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?

2006-10-18 19:14:12
Subject: [Networker] Is the NetWorker Oracle Module necessary?
From: Bhaskar Mylavarapu <Bhaskar.Mylavarapu AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:12:48 -0400
What are the advantages of using the Legato NetWorker module for Oracle versus just using the built-in archive log feature to back up the system on-line and then use NetWorker client to backup the data from that?

Example: Suppose on the Oracle server, I have the basic NetWorker client software installed, and I create a cron job that backs up the Oracle archive log files to some storage location (say, disk) using the built-in archive log feature, and then when the copying is done it fires off a NetWorker save process to back up that data to tape. The save process would specify a particular pool dedicated for these Oracle files. Since a live database does not need to be shut down for this purpose this seems to be a completely viable option. After all, the save process would not attempt to back up the data files that comprise the live database, only the ones that were written to the storage area by the cron job - an area that wouldn't be subject to changes by users. In fact, this seems to be an advantage over the module method since you could then use nwrecover or saveset recover to recover the desired files and then use Oracle recovery commands from there. Of course, when recovering data, the database might have to be shut down, depending on the situation, but likewise if using the module, right? In fact, if using the module you still have to use RMAN to recover it anyway; you're not going to use nwrecover or saveset recover.

OK, what then is the NetWorker Oracle module really giving you that the above "example" method wouldn't? Seems like just extra cost for maintenance and more configuration for the same results?

Would appreciate any advice. We're all for using the module, but fail to see why we need to or what it's perks are. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Bhaskar

"signoff networker" in the