Networker

Re: [Networker] Does Networker server backup /nsr/index?

2004-05-21 12:23:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does Networker server backup /nsr/index?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:24:47 -0400
Davina,

Please see me responses below. Thanks for the corrections!

George

Davina Treiber wrote:

> George Sinclair wrote:
> > Well, I would look under saveset recover for the server and then they
> > should be listed under index:client at least for 6.1.1 or later, but,
> > yes, as near as I can tell this is normal. The server only backs up its
> > own index. The other client indexes get backed up when those clients
> > actually run their backups. There should be a '.nsr' file under each
> > index with something like:
> >
> > +skip: * .?*
> >
> > I assume the server sees all these skips and just ignores all the
> > indexes, but it knows to override this when backing up its own index?
>
> No not quite. It never backs up the index directories as plain files,
> even for its own index. Think of the index as a database, NetWorker has
> an inbuilt module for backing them up while the database is open.

Perhaps then this is why the .nsr files exist? Because they don't want
you to try to backup /nsr/index manually since they know if you do, it
will be bogus?

> > You can force backups of the other indexes by putting all clients in a
> > special group, e.g. 'index' and then launching backup as: 'savegrp -O -l
> > level group'. This will also save the bootstrap. I guess you could also
> > explicitly save all indexes on the server by running the save command
> > and forcing it to ignore the .nsr files with something like:
> >
> > save -b pool -l level -i /nsr/indexa
>
> NO you shouldn't do this. It is like backing up an open database and
> recovery is not guaranteed. NetWorker will save all relevant indices as
> part of normal savegrp operations, but if you want extra index backups
> the savegrp -O method is valid for any client in any group.

Okay, what if you shut down the NetWorker software first? Would a manual
save, using '-i' work or might still be suspect?

Thanks.

George