Networker

Re: [Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time

2004-01-13 01:47:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT AKERKVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:47:43 -0500
Alex Theodore wrote:
> The data on the client which is being backed up are images (photos)
> which are a few megabytes in size. I decided to split up the save
> sets into 6 different client configurations with the parallelism set
> to 6 so that all 6 tape drives would be used at the same time during
> backups but this isn't happening either.. I can only seem to write to
> a few tape drives at once..

Have you checked the client? Have you checked its network statistics? CPU
usage? I/O wait?

Have you tried to monitor the network traffic? There might be errors in the
TCP/IP stack. A know problem is a delayed TCP ACK. That will hurt
throughput a lot.

If you are using client side compression, it might be adviceable to turn if
off for the image files. Use a .nsr file to do this.

greetings,