Networker

[Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time

2004-01-11 11:47:49
Subject: [Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time
From: Alex Theodore <alex AT FUZZYCHEESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:19:00 -0500
I am only getting about 3-6 megabytes/s when backing up to LTO 2 tape drives.
I would expect that I should get somewhere near the advertised value, but I am
not.  Here are the details.

- Legato Network 6.7.1
- Solaris 8 (latest patches)
- Sun L700 with 6 HP LTO 2 tape drives
- Backup Server is a Sun Fire V880
- Backup Client is Sun Enterprise 4500
- Network pipe for backups is a dedicated, directly connected (no switch), dual
gigabit ethernet, which is trunked (glued together into 1 virtual pipe)

The data on the client which is being backed up are images (photos) which are a
few megabytes in size.  I decided to split up the save sets into 6 different
client configurations with the parallelism set to 6 so that all 6 tape drives
would be used at the same time during backups but this isn't happening either..
I can only seem to write to a few tape drives at once..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

  Alex

--