Networker

Re: [Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time SUMMARY

2004-01-17 15:14:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performace isssues with LTO 2 Ultrium and unable to write to all tapes at same time SUMMARY
From: Alex Theodore <alex AT FUZZYCHEESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:15:14 -0500
I figured out the issue.  Thanks all for responding.  The problem was the
performance on the 4500 it required additional CPU resources to give resonable
performance during backups.  Setting the parallelism and target to 12 and 2
helped out.  The trunked ethernet didn't do much as the 4500 lacked the
resources to push the interface past 250Mbps.  So it was disabled (gigabit
ethernet is a cpu hog).

Anyhow thanks alot!

Alex

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:19:00 -0500
Alex Theodore <alex AT FUZZYCHEESE DOT COM> wrote:

> I am only getting about 3-6 megabytes/s when backing up to LTO 2 tape drives.
>  I would expect that I should get somewhere near the advertised value, but I
> am not.  Here are the details.
>
> - Legato Network 6.7.1
> - Solaris 8 (latest patches)
> - Sun L700 with 6 HP LTO 2 tape drives
> - Backup Server is a Sun Fire V880
> - Backup Client is Sun Enterprise 4500
> - Network pipe for backups is a dedicated, directly connected (no switch),
> dual gigabit ethernet, which is trunked (glued together into 1 virtual pipe)
>

> The data on the client which is being backed up are images (photos) which are
> a few megabytes in size.  I decided to split up the save sets into 6
> different client configurations with the parallelism set to 6 so that all 6
> tape drives would be used at the same time during backups but this isn't
> happening either.. I can only seem to write to a few tape drives at once..
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
>   Alex
>
> --