Networker

Re: [Networker] A time to choose

2003-07-08 11:45:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] A time to choose
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:45:13 -0400
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:25:48 +1000, Brendan Sandes
<Brendan.Sandes AT DSE.VIC.GOV DOT AU> wrote:

>The only thing I can add, is we have a couple of SUN L20 (which are HP
>units) and a couple of sun L180 (which are a storage tek unit using IBM
>drives).  The only difference, is in the way the barcode readers read the
>labels.  We have barcodes that have a small 'L1' on the end of the barcode
>label.  The HP drives pick this up and the IBM drives do not.  The only
>result of this is that if we transfer tapes from one unit to another, I
>have to use the -E switch to the nsrjb to force it to read the electronic
>label as Legato thinks the tape is a new tape otherwise.

This is something that you ought to be able to fix. It is not desirable for
different jukeboxes to read barcodes in different formats. Generally, the
L1 should be ignored and not passed through to the software. Some jukeboxes
have this controlled as an option in their firmware. If yours doesn't, I
suggest you press Sun/HP for a firmware upgrade for the L20 in order to
allow this.

Sun have made matters quite confusing by calling their OEM HP jukebox an
L20. I know one site that bought an L20 thinking it would be a STK OEM L20.
After all, Sun also OEMs larger STK models with the L series names. The STK
L20 definitely does not pass the L1 through to NetWorker.