Networker

[Networker] Version 7 Speed

2003-07-08 11:12:04
Subject: [Networker] Version 7 Speed
From: Neil Atkins <neil.atkins AT WHL.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:12:01 -0400
Hi,

Last week we performed a DR test on a HP client that runs off an AIX
Networker server (version 6.02) at a remote site. The recovery went fine
with the clients data (about 75Gb compressed / 140Gb native) coming back
fully in under 5 hours which was acceptable to us.

At the end of the test we decided that we should use some free time to try
out version 7 in the test environment to see if it was worth the hassle of
moving our live servers back at the office to the new version.

We found that the backup under version 7 was very quick (around an hour)
but as the hardware was faster than what the client usually runs on and the
tape drives (DLT 7000s) were local to the client, we were just pleasantly
suprised.

What did suprise us was that the restore from the V7.0 savesets took less
than an hour. Getting quite interested, we thought it would be useful to
recover the data from the tapes created with Legato 6.02 which we had used
for the DR test (remember that these took 5 hours to recover under version
6.02 on this exact hardware and setup). This recovery took under 1 hour and
2 further tries confirmed this to be true.

All of the HP filesystems were wiped with newfs before the recoveries so
the tests should have been done under the same conditions.

Can anyone tell me if they have seen the same under version 7? Is this down
to the new and faster format for the res files?

Thanks,
Neil