Networker

Re: [Networker] Index not started

2003-07-08 11:51:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index not started
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:51:24 -0400
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:49:18 -0400, Anuj Mediratta <anuj AT ACE-DATA DOT COM>
wrote:

>We are using Legato Networker 6.1.2 on a Windows NT server. In one of
groups, we had manually recycled media. This is because Auto Media
Management does not work.

What do you mean when you say that "Auto Media Management does not work"??
In general AMM DOES work. Could it be that you are under a misapprehension
about what you are expecting it to do? Please explain more.

> When we take a backup of this group now, it gets aborted without any
backups giving an error - "Index never started - Aborting backups".

>Is it that the indexes have been corrupted. Can we recover from the above
by recovering indexes using nsrck -L 7.

I think it is unlikely that this is caused by index corruption. "Never
started" usually means that the save set was still outstanding when a group
was manually aborted. Did you abort it? There are a few reasons why an
index backup might fail, but that would show some other error message.