Networker

Re: [Networker] Gigabit Ethernet, but backups VERY slow

2003-04-25 21:35:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Gigabit Ethernet, but backups VERY slow
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:35:10 -0700
On April 25, 2003 at 21:08, Gaddy wrote:
> (O.K. - this is a little bit off-topic ...)
>
> Last week we installed a SysKonnect SK-9843 1Gbps NIC
> on the NetWorker server (V6.1.3).
> All the clients are fully 100 Mbps switched.

Is the backup using the new NIC?  Did you change
DNS (forward and reverse) for it?  Or, did you
remove the old NIC?

Does the SysKonnect have trouble running in
100Mbps mode?  The card is running full duplex,
right? The switch?

If there are routing delays in getting DNS
information or routing trouble, that can slow
things down dramatically.  Indeed, many people
use NetWorker to find issues in their networks ;-)

> Backup speed is far behind everything we expected.
> Typical 1-3 MB/sec, no matter how many clients/streams
> (Win2k + Novell) we are backing up.
> Often the speed drops under 1 MB/sec.

What kind of filesystem?  Big files, or lots of
little ones?  Often, backup speed is throttled
more by filesystem performance than anything
else.

> We talked to SysKonnect and they gave us some hints
> to hack some of their registry keys.
> If I understood correctly, NetWorker is sending
> very small packets over the wire, so they have
> some problems with the NIC.
> (--> http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/d0106_info.html)
>
> To get some other performance figures, we used
> a binary FTP-get and got ~9MB/sec (which seems
> fair for the 100MB/sec clients).

For the same files, or a single file?  If you
run a manual NetWorker backup with the same
files you ftp'd, do you see similar throughput?

> Anyone had seen similar problems? And finaly solved them?
> Any tips to track the problem down are very welcome,
> (this is more or less the off-topic part).

HTH,

Byron