Networker

[Networker] no compression to compression

2003-04-25 23:13:34
Subject: [Networker] no compression to compression
From: Franklin Sagayno <fsagayno AT PBC.CO DOT JP>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:14:13 +0900
Dear All,

I'm still using an older Legato Version 5 on Solaris machine. We are using a 5
Tapes DLT autoloader at 15/30Gb per tape. My problem is that the backup doesn't
do any data compression, the tapes get full at 15Gb. Currently the autoloader
was attached to /dev/2hbn. I wanted to transfer this /dev/2cbn, to enable the
compression. My question is, is it okay to still use the current tape which
have a data that was not compressed? I mean, for example, the current tape is
not yet full and the data are not compressed on that tape. Now, if I change the
setting to /dev/2cbn, does the backup continue to the current tape? Or it needs
another a new tape to start a new backup? Or in General after I change the
device to /dev/2cbn, can I still recover the uncompressed data from the old
tapes?

Thanks a lot in advance for the reply,

Frank