Networker

Re: [Networker] Removing stuck tape from Exabyte 8505 drive

2002-10-10 12:49:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Removing stuck tape from Exabyte 8505 drive
From: Richard Spitz <richard.spitz AT ANA.MED.UNI-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:49:44 -0400
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:21:41 +1000, Peter Marshall
<peter.marshall AT NETSPEED.COM DOT AU> wrote:

>1. Power the jukebox off.
>2. Press the eject button on the front of the tape drive and keep holding
it in.
>3. While holding the eject button, power the jukebox back on.

Thanks to Peter and the others who replied privately. However, this
didn't work since the jukebox and the attached drives seem to be in
a state of permanent reset. When I power the jukebox on, the backlight
of the LCD display will flash intermittently, and the upper and lower
LEDs of the drives are lit up constantly, indicating SCSI reset.

The only solution was to remove the drives from the jukebox and
connect them to an external power source. Then their power on self-
test went through ok, and they ejected the tapes after the eject
button was pressed.

Since the EXB-440 and the 8505 drives are VERY old technology any-
way, we will probably throw the whole assembly away. Having a tech
come by and repair it is not worth while.

Maybe someone here has an idea where the described "permanent SCSI
reset" might come from? It occurs even when the external SCSI cable
is not attached. If this could be fixed with a simple procedure,
there might still be a chance that the jukebox can survive.

Regards, Richard