Networker

[Networker] Removing stuck tape from Exabyte 8505 drive

2002-10-09 09:09:34
Subject: [Networker] Removing stuck tape from Exabyte 8505 drive
From: Richard Spitz <richard.spitz AT ANA.MED.UNI-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:09:33 -0400
Hi Networkers,

not exactly a Networker question, but since there is also a lot of
hardware expertise in this forum:

I have a failed Exabyte EXB-440 jukebox with two Exabyte 8505 8mm
drives (5GB + compression). Looks like it is totally gone, it doesn't
even boot after power on, power is ok though. It is very old and not
worth while repairing.

However, there still are tapes stuck in the drives. The Exabyte
knowledge base refers to a "tape extraction procedure" for this
type of drive, but I wasn't able to find this procedure on the
site. Can anybody help me extract those tapes? Pressing the
eject button is useless, there are two LEDs lit up constantly:
upper orange, lower green, middle (green) is off.

Regards, Richard