Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes

2002-08-23 04:42:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes
From: Chris Madden <maddenca AT MYREALBOX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:45:23 +0200
I haven't seen the problem you suggest. When a tape is loaded into a drive
nsrjb should still report it in its 'home' slot in the main section output,
and in the drive summary section toward the end of the output.  For this
reason I'd be surprised if it would put the tape in a busy slot unless there
is a bug relevant to your specific jukebox or jukebox settings.

I'll share a couple of things I've learned about injecting and ejecting
tapes:

1) If the source and destination location information is not completed,
Legato will attempt to find an appropriate place for it.  On some jukeboxes
(like the ADIC Scalar 10k) this process is very time consuming and it can
take more than a minute to deposit each tape.
2) If you use the most simple -d syntax possible you won't know in which
slot the tape was in which I find quite annoying (BTW, using the -v flag you
will see this information buried in the output).
3) If you use the most simple -d syntax possible the tape will be "unknown"
to NetWorker until you inventory it.  Inventorying a tape may take two or
more minutes again adding to the time required for tape movements.

To counter these three items I do use the following syntax command (also
include -j <jukebox> if multiple jukeboxes exist):

1) If the -P <src> -S <dst> is specified the time is reduced to a matter of
seconds while the robot arm actually moves the media.
2) No longer applicable because you specified the destination.
3) Specify the barcode being inserted and NetWorker will trust you; no
inventory required and it will show properly in nsrjb immediately!

I'd suggest you script something for deposits that uses the sjirdtag command
to discover what was where, and then deposits the tapes on a per barcode
basis using the command syntax above.  Or, if doing deposits infrequently
you could fill in the syntax above manually.  Lastly if you do only a few
tape movements use the -v flag and take the time hit for the time to find a
slot and inventorying but then you'll at least know what went where...

Cheers,
-Chris