Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes

2002-08-23 05:32:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 05:35:25 -0400
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:39:22 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>Before I issued the "nsrjb -d -j aitjuke" command (no other arguments), I
>did an "nsrjb -C | grep ":     "" to see what the vacant slots were just
>out of curiosity. I then deposited two tapes, and I searched for the
>vacant slots again. Logic would dictate that there should not be any
>vacant slots after I deposited two tapes into the two slots, right? My
>results ran contrary to logic though.
>
>The same two slots that were vacant prior to depositing the tapes remain
>vacant after the tapes were deposited. This tells me that the two tapes
>were put in slots that are allocated to a tapes that are currently in the
>tape drives. Am I wrong, or is this not a good thing?

I think the answer is "you are wrong" :-)
Because you have deposited the tapes but not yet inventoried them, the
nsrjb -C command is showing empty slots that are probably not really empty.
The behaviour you described about putting the tapes in slots belonging to
loaded tapes does not happen IME. nsrjb -C shows the volumes for slots,
even when they are loaded.

>This would explain why for the past few weeks, there are times when tapes
>would not eject from drives and I would find that the tape library was not
>in the state that nsr understood it to be. I wonder if there's a bug in
>the "nsrjb -d" command.
I think the problem is that nsrjb -d is not enough, the slots also need to
be inventoried.