Networker

[Networker] Problem with depositing tapes

2002-08-22 19:36:37
Subject: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:39:22 -0400
Hello NSR gurus;

Would someone tell me if my thinking is incorrect on an issue involving
using "nsrjb -d" to deposit tapes into a tape library? Here's the
situation:

Using "nsrjb -w", I removed a few tapes from our Qualstar tape library. No
problem there. I then used "nsrjb -d" to deposit tapes into the vacant
slots. While I did this, the six AIT-2 drives in the library had tapes in
them and all were actively writing.

Before I issued the "nsrjb -d -j aitjuke" command (no other arguments), I
did an "nsrjb -C | grep ":     "" to see what the vacant slots were just
out of curiosity. I then deposited two tapes, and I searched for the
vacant slots again. Logic would dictate that there should not be any
vacant slots after I deposited two tapes into the two slots, right? My
results ran contrary to logic though.

The same two slots that were vacant prior to depositing the tapes remain
vacant after the tapes were deposited. This tells me that the two tapes
were put in slots that are allocated to a tapes that are currently in the
tape drives. Am I wrong, or is this not a good thing?

This would explain why for the past few weeks, there are times when tapes
would not eject from drives and I would find that the tape library was not
in the state that nsr understood it to be. I wonder if there's a bug in
the "nsrjb -d" command. It sure seems like there is, but I just wanted to
confirm raise this possibility here. I do plan to report this to Legato
tomorrow, and I suspect that when I arrive at work, two tapes will have
failed to eject during tonight's backups.