Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger incorrectly assigning first slot number

2017-06-27 23:45:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger incorrectly assigning first slot number
From: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 23:44:40 -0400
Hi,

After more testing done today, this looks like a mtx bug: issuing command "mtx
load 1 0" correctly loads tape from the changer slot 1 into the first tape
drive. However, "mtx status" then shows this tape drive as loaded with slot 45
instead (but also correctly lists slot 1 as empty):

# mtx status
  Storage Changer /dev/changer:2 Drives, 45 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00000L5
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00001L5
<...>

# mtx load 1 0

# mtx status
  Storage Changer /dev/changer:2 Drives, 45 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 45 Loaded):VolumeTag = A00000L5

Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00001L5
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=A00002L5
<...>

Unfortunately, mtx project seems dead, so no updates...

--Ivan

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:34:47 PM EDT Ivan Adzhubey wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:42:10 PM EDT Ivan Adzhubey wrote:
> > The
> > problem I suspect is with the extra I/O slot which this model has, in
> > addition to normal slots in the mounted magazines. Mtx command correctly
> > reports all magazine slots plus the I/O slot (separately). However, Bacula
> > director seems to have issues with the I/O slot
>
> Correction: This should read "Import/Export" (I/E) slot, not I/O slot. Sorry
> about that typo.
>
> Google finds some reports of issues with mtx-changer script failing to
> properly parse I/E slot lines returned by "mtx status" for the changers with
> I/E slots, due to extra "IMPORT/EXPORT" tag inserted. However, my case is
> the opposite since "mtx status" for my changer does not tag the (single)
> I/E slot at all, it just appends one extra slot to the list, so that the
> last slot listed is always a I/E one:
>
> # mtx -f /dev/changer status
>   Storage Changer /dev/changer:2 Drives, 45 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
> Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00000L5
>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=A00001L5
> <...skipped...>
>       Storage Element 34:Full :VolumeTag=A00033L5
>       Storage Element 35:Full :VolumeTag=A00034L5
>       Storage Element 36:Full :VolumeTag=A00035L5
>       Storage Element 37:Empty
>       Storage Element 38:Empty
>       Storage Element 39:Empty
>       Storage Element 40:Empty
>       Storage Element 41:Empty
>       Storage Element 42:Empty
>       Storage Element 43:Empty
>       Storage Element 44:Empty
>       Storage Element 45:Empty
> <end of status command output>
>
> Storage element 45 listed above is in fact the I/E slot. For some reason,
> Bacula flips it with the slot 1, so when I mount slot 1 in bconsole, it
> mounts it as slot 45. However, actual tape from slot 1 is loaded.

dispose of the e-mail.