Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives

2017-06-05 10:49:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 15:48:18 +0100
On 05/06/17 11:57, Cejka Rudolf wrote:

Hi, I do use 16 GB. Every EOF mark means around 3 seconds delay. So if you have
over 200 files on the tape using 8 GB, it is around 10 minutes extra per tape.
Hi, small fix. It seems that it is even around 5-6 seconds delay resulting in
extra 20 minutes per tape. And worse, I'm afraid that the tape drive do not
stop nor slowdown tape movement, which would mean over 10 % of the tape lost
because of filemarks. Hope that I'm wrong.

Most drives stop and restart. You won't hear it unless you're listening for it and in a quiet room (I use a stethoscope)

If your OS and kernel supports Tapestat, then you can see it quite clearly in throughput.

IMHO: The best thing to do with LTO is use the largest block size bacula will accept and a file size of 16GB or larger - and make sure your (ssd) spool is large enough to avoid filling it up.

Don't forget: If you alter the block size, you MUST close off all existing tapes and initialise/recycle new ones. Bacula doesn't mind different block sizes on different tapes but encountering a change partway through a reel "may give undesirable results" when reading.

believed to be clean.