Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives

2017-06-02 03:54:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:52:58 +0200
Ivan Adzhubey wrote (2017/06/01):
> b) What is the effect of MaximumFileSize option and what would be its optimal
> value for my IBM LTO-5 SAS drives? I have used 8GB value found in one of the
> list posts, while the documentation suggests 2GB for LTO-4. But even set at
> 8GB this would create lots of EOF marks on a 1.5TB tape, do we really need so
> many?

Hi, I do use 16 GB. Every EOF mark means around 3 seconds delay. So if you have
over 200 files on the tape using 8 GB, it is around 10 minutes extra per tape.

> c) Should I try increasing the tape block size? Set it to fixed? I know this

I think that there is no reason to use fixed tape block size. On the other side,
increasing tape block size would help, there are many discussions about that.

> topic has been rather controversial, so any recent experience from similar
> drives/system would be appreciated. I plan to use spooling to a dedicated
> RAID
> volume, so hopefully hard drives should not be a bottleneck.

Hard drives are potential bottleneck, they can not handle several write
streams and at the same time one read stream going 150-300 MB/s. Rather
use SSD drives.

Regards.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology