Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives

2017-06-03 06:03:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring autochanger with SAS LTO-5 drives
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 12:02:25 +0200
Hello,

In Bacula the "variables" that are set in the bacula-sd.conf file are normally referred to as Directives. In general their scope is within the enclosing brackets that define the particular resource (e.g. Device { ... } or Autochanger { ...}

Normally for a Device resource that is part of an autochanger, you do not need to specify the Changer Device directive or the Changer Command directive, because they already be defined in the Autochanger resource. Within the Autochanger resource, the Changer Device should point to the scsi control channel for the changer -- in your case below this would be /dev/sg4.

The Control Device directive within a Device resource is used to specify the scsi control device for the Drive. This control device is used for TapeAlerts. I strongly recommend setting up tape alerts under Bacula 7.9 and later as it will let you know when there are drive problems. In prior Bacula version the implementation was too simplistic and so there was no need to specify a Control Device. Even in 7.9 and later you are not required to specify a Control Device within the Device resource.

Yes, the Control Device is primarily used for Tape Alerts, but it can also be used in the Enterprise version for drive locking and autochanger sharing.

Final note: Both Changer Device and Changer Command are normally specified only in an Autochanger resource. However, the original autochanger implementation was for a single drive autochanger, and in that case, Bacula did not have an Autochanger resource as the Device itself can be a single drive Autochanger by specifying the Changer Device and Changer Command within the Device resource. I hope that is clear, and I see the documentation is not totally clear. I have attempted to correct this in the latest manual that is on www.bacula.org.

Best regards,
Kern