Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Regression testing - let's get more involved

2017-05-11 05:37:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Regression testing - let's get more involved
From: Andrea Venturoli <ml AT netfence DOT it>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 11:36:25 +0200
On 05/10/17 14:04, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> After thinking about this some more, it seems to me that it is a waste
> of your time to run Bacula in a jail.  You are going to have nothing but
> problems.  Running regression tests with Bacula is designed to confine
> itself to the regress directory (and perhaps tmp), and the probability
> of having a security problem of any kind while running regression tests
> is essentially zero.   Sorry, but I would not even try running Bacula
> regression tests in a jail.

Unfortunately, recent policies do not allow me to try this in base of a
production server and that's what I have now.
If doing this in a jail won't work, I'll have to wait until I have a
spare machine available and that will be a one-time shot anyway (while I
hoped to leave the jail running with crons).

If that's not too much a waste of your time, I'd be curious to know why
a jail won't do.
TIA.

>>> I don't know why it's trying /bin/csh
>> Ok, so I changed the shell to sh (perhaps this should be picked up
>> anyway) and I got some further.
>> However all tests are failing.
> Yes, we do not support csh, only sh (and probably bash).

That's fair: I wouln't expect anyone to support csh.
However that's the default on some systems and, in spite of that, I
never had the need to explicitly change the shell of the user: the
configure script and/or the shebangs would pick sh anyway.
I suggest a note is added to the documentation that everything must
explicitly be run from sh.

>> I used "git clone http://git.bacula.org/bacula.git bacula": that's
>> different from what the doc says (there's "bacula", not "bacula.git").
>> Is this ok?
> Can you tell me *exactly* where the doc says it is bacula.  The repo is
> called bacula.git, and if you are using git itself rather than http, it
> knows to add the correct extension.

I'm using this guide, as suggested by Dan:
> http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/developers/Bacula_Regression_Testing.html

There it says to type "git clone http://git.bacula.org/bacula bacula".
However, on my system:

So I had a look into http://git.bacula.org/ and run:
> git clone http://git.bacula.org/bacula.git bacula

This worked.
I think I grasp the basics of git, but I'm no expert.
If that's a weirdness on my box, please ignore this.

> We no longer support Sqlite.  However, we still keep scripts for
> Sqlite3.

Sorry, I meant sqlite3-3.18.0.

> I *strongly* recommend using only MySQL or Postgresql.

I'll eventually try MySQL (and Postgres when I'll be able).

> It is not obvious what is going wrong, but you can get more information
> by running:
>
> REGRESS_DEBUG=1 tests/<test-name>

I found the problem and was able to run the tests.
Right now I'm at 3 tests failing, but I will investigate these too ASAP.

> Best regards,
> Kern

Thanks a lot.

  bye