Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?

2017-05-10 10:22:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 09:21:31 -0500
On 2017-05-10 05:44, Josip Deanovic wrote:

> I usually don't like the idea of rsyncing bacula volumes and although
> an example where such approach would be acceptable probably exist I don't
> think this is the case here because of the requirements that were set in
> the initial post.

I've a 'canoncal' vchanger setup with individual hard drives as
magazines. Post-job script rsyncs the current magazine to another drive.
The idea is that spinning rust fails and it'll more likely fail while
being written to. So if my current 'magazine' keels over, I'll only lose
the latest backup, there's a copy everything else on it.

The couple of problems I ran into is 'not current' disks failing and
bacula's volume selection algorithm: it randomly writes to a 'not
current' magazine sometimes and defeats my post-script. But overall it's
working OK.

It sounds to me that the ability to stream the same job to 2 storages at
once would solve my problem, and OP's. Which is something I asked about
in May 2013 and Kern replied "no but we'll implement copy jobs" -- those
don't work for me but may work for the OP if I understand his
requirement correctly.

Dima