Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?

2017-05-10 08:30:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 08:13:56 -0400

On 5/9/2017 7:11 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 05/09/2017 05:21 PM, David Andrzejewski wrote:

I've looked at vchanger, and I *think* that's what I need here.
I don't know if you can combine vchanger and your zfs pool backups. I
would think copy jobs may be a better fit for what you want.

Vchanger needs to create and delete symlinks to volume files on a mounted filesystem. It doesn't care what filesystem, as long as it can create symlinks to the volume files using the symlink() system call. The symlink itself is stored in the vchanger work directory, not on the filesystem containing volume files.

But I agree that copy jobs are a good fit. I would use copy jobs to copy jobs stored in volumes on the ZFS pool into volumes on USB disk using vchanger. This gives two different volumes, both physically and in the Bacula catalog. Since there are two unique volumes, the one going to USB disk can be placed in another pool named 'offsite' by using the NextPool directive for the copy job. This makes it easier to identify where the volumes are located.

Although I'd be tempted to just cp the volume files to the usb drive in
a RunAfterJob script.