Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?

2017-05-10 06:19:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Add external drive rotation to existing backup regime?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: "David Andrzejewski" <david AT davidandrzejewski DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 11:17:41 +0100

> I'm *relatively* new to bacula. I have a working bacula setup where I have a
> bunch of machines backing up to a ZFS array on a server. This is working
> well and without error, I've tested restores; everything seems
> hunky-dory. Basically, I do a full backup of each client every couple of
> weeks, daily incrementals in between, and I don't prune backups until
> they're 60 days old.
>
> The next step is to add a rotation of external USB hard drives to this
> setup, so that I can store backups offsite as well. My thought is that I can
> start with two drives, one on-site and one off-site, and periodically switch
> them out. Maybe add more drives to the rotation later on.
>
> I've looked at vchanger, and I *think* that's what I need here. The problem
> is, I'm not entirely clear on how it will work with my current setup. I want
> to be sure that I can do complete restores even if the server and on-site
> external drive is totally destroyed. My worry is that if I misconfigure it,
> I will end up with some of my full backups on one of the drives but not
> both, incrementals on the other, etc.
>
> I want to be sure I configure this to have the full backups and incremental
> backups on the ZFS pool as it is now, as well as on ALL external hard
> drives, so only one of the drives is needed to do a full restore of
> everything, at least up until the point where it was unmounted from the
> system.
>
> How can I be sure of all of this?

If each USB hard disk is large enough to contain all of your backups, then the
simplest approach is to rsync the volumes from the server to the USB disks.

In the (hopefully unlikely) case where you need to restore from the USB disk,
either rsync them back to the server or change the bacula-sd config to point
to the USB disk.

__Martin