Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to fix Bacula after tape autoloader dysfunction?

2017-01-09 09:48:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to fix Bacula after tape autoloader dysfunction?
From: Charles <c AT charlesmatkinson DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 20:17:04 +0530
On 27/12/16 23:30, bacula-users-request AT lists.sourceforge DOT net wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 10:13:58 +0530
> From: Charles <c AT charlesmatkinson DOT org>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] How to fix Bacula after tape autoloader
>       dysfunction?
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Cc: Aurinoco Systems <aurinoco AT auroville.org DOT in>
>
> Hello bacula-users :-)
>
> Following misbehaviour by an HP StoreEver 18G2 LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 Tape
> Autoloader, the list volume command shows two tapes with VolStatus Error
> and one tape as Full with VolBytes 12,901,819,392.
>
> We do not believe the information.  Surely an LT06 cannot be filled with
> 12.5 GB.  And in a recent previous similar incident a different tape was
> shown with Error.  We cleared that by re-initialising the Bacula
> database and the tapes.
>
> Happily we have a parallel backup system and anyway the Bacula system
> has not been running long since re-initialisation.  So we can
> re-initialise again.
>
> Alternatively what can we do to recover Bacula from this situation,
> assuming the autoloader is fixed?  The update command can be used to
> change VolStatus but that is a forceful override.  Is there anything
> equivalent to "update slots" for tapes, to ask Bacula to scan all the
> tapes, updating VolStatus, VolBytes etc?
>
> Best
>
> Charles

Hello bacula-users :-)

Are any tools available to mend Bacula after almost certainly spurious
errors reported by a tape autoloader?

Within a few minutes of Bacula starting to use an autoloader which had
been subject to an abrupt power outage, the autoloader reported a
critical tape alert.  Bacula shows the tape wth status Error (simply
reflecting what the autoloader has told it?).

We believe the condition is spurious but we do not know how to recover
from it apart from re-initialising the tape which holds 97% of our
backup volume.

Best

Charles