Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to fix Bacula after tape autoloader dysfunction?

2017-01-12 05:48:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to fix Bacula after tape autoloader dysfunction?
From: Charles <c AT charlesmatkinson DOT org>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:17:25 +0530
On 11/01/17 15:01, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 11/01/17 05:16, Charles wrote:
>>
>> According to both the man pages and experimentation, Debian Jessie's
>> mt and mtx do not support an unlock command.
>
> Whilst other debian versions do
>
> # mt --version
> mt-st v. 1.3
> default tape device: '/dev/tape'
>

>       lock   (SCSI tapes) Lock the tape drive door.
>
>        unlock (SCSI tapes) Unlock the tape drive door.
>

> You might want to check the version of MT you have installed.
>

> (mt -f /dev/nst0 lock)
>
> Note that lock/unlock will _only_ work if there's a tape in the drive.

Thanks Alan

[email protected]:~# mt -f /dev/st0 lock
mt: invalid argument `lock' for `operation'
Valid arguments are:
   - `eof', `weof'
   - `fsf'
   - `bsf'
   - `fsr'
   - `bsr'
   - `rewind'
   - `offline', `rewoffl', `eject'
   - `status'
   - `bsfm'
   - `eom'
   - `retension'
   - `erase'
   - `asf'
   - `fsfm'
   - `seek'
[email protected]:~# mt --version
mt (GNU cpio) 2.11

To be thorough, the bacula-sd init script should not only run the mt
rewoffl and mtx unload commands; it should also error trap their output.
  I suspect that, when our autoloader and backup server are powered up
at the same time, the autoloader does not finish initialising before the
backup server runs the bacula-sd init script.  In which case the mt and
mtx commands are ineffective and SD finds a tape in the drive resulting
in the tape getting Bacula status Error.

More after I have tested error trapping the mt rewoffl and mtx unload
commands.

Best

Charles