Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [SOLVED] How To Change User or Group of Running Bacula-SD

2016-07-07 12:41:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [SOLVED] How To Change User or Group of Running Bacula-SD
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:40:05 -0500
Never mind! Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. I just figured it out.

After the line where I added my ARGS= statement is the section:

> if [ -r /etc/default/$NAME ]; then
>
>     . /etc/default/$NAME
>
> fi

which, in my hurry, I overlooked. The file /etc/default/bacula-sd includes the
default parameter assignments for user & group. Since this followed my
assignment, my assignment was being overridden.

Cheers!

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 11:12:01 AM C M Reinehr wrote:
> [...]
> > >Bacula for
> > >Debian Linux systems. I am completing the installation of Bacula
> > >(v5.2.6) for
> > >a Debian "Stable" ("Jessie", v8.5) system and have a question about the
> > >user &
> > >group identity of the bacula-sd daemon.

> > >identity is
> > >user: bacula & group: tape. Since I'm doing backups only to disk, for
> > >convenience I want to change the group to bacula, but I haven't been
> > >able to
> > >figure out how.
> > >
> > >Unless I've overlooked something the documentation states only that you
> > >CAN
> > >change the user & group of the running daemons but doesn't explain how.
> > >By
> > >examining the manual pages for the daemons I saw the options "-u
> > ><user>" & "-g
> > ><group>" that could be added to the bacula-sd command so I attempted to
> > >add a
> > >"$ARGS" argument to the bacula-sd SysV init file. It didn't work. I'm
> > >pretty
> > >sure that I did this correctly but bacula-sd always runs as
> > >bacula/tape. (FYI,
> > >this worked in previous versions of Bacula that I have used.)
> > >
> > >What have I missed & where can this be changed?
> > >
> > >Thanks!
> > >
> > >--
> > >C M Reinehr
> > >AMS Enterprises, LLC.
> > >323 Bibb St (36104)
> > >PO Box 20
> > >Montgomery AL 36101-0020
> > >334-269-4358 (Voice)
> > >334-262-1706 (Fax)
> > >----
> > >Linux distribution Debian 8 "Jessie"
> > >------
> > >"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he
> > >made
> > >school boards." -- Mark Twain
> > >--------
> > >

> > >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >--
> > >--- Attend Shape: An AT&T Tech Expo July 15-16. Meet us at AT&T Park in
> > >San
> > >Francisco, CA to explore cutting-edge tech and listen to tech
> > >luminaries
> > >present their vision of the future. This family event has something for
> > >everyone, including kids. Get more information and register today.
> > >http://sdm.link/attshape
>
> --
> C M Reinehr
> AMS Enterprises, LLC.
> 323 Bibb St (36104)
> PO Box 20
> Montgomery AL 36101-0020
> 334-269-4358 (Voice)
> 334-262-1706 (Fax)
> ----
> Linux distribution Debian 8 "Jessie"
> ------
> Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> stupidity, but don't rule out malice." -- Albert Einstein

C M Reinehr
AMS Enterprises, LLC.
323 Bibb St (36104)
PO Box 20
Montgomery AL 36101-0020
334-269-4358 (Voice)
334-262-1706 (Fax)
----
Linux distribution Debian 8 "Jessie"
------
"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans
possess over the people of almost every other nation ... [where] the
governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- James Madison
--------