Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula backup directory tree

2016-07-07 12:24:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup directory tree
From: kmarsh <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 06:10:55 -0700
Hi,

I have a working Bacula 5.2.6 setup (what comes with Ubuntu), about 20 clients,
3 storage devices (RAID for disk to disk backup). It all works rather well for
half a year now.

What I'd like to do is extend backup to another 20 or so servers, but I just
don't have the space for a true Full backup of all. Having done a few rebuilds
already, App Data is backed-up through the various database backends, and I can
reinstall the applications myself. What I've found is it takes several hours to
completely rebuild a server (operating system, install app, restore db) and
then another several hours to sort out minor install issues, almost all having
to do with directory ownership, permissions, or mere existence.

What I'd like to do for the remaining servers is just backup /etc and the full
directory tree, with permissions and ownership. If I had this in previous
rebuilds, it would have saved me many hours and much aggravation, and I'm
thinking it will take up very little room on my Storage.

I'm not afraid to script in Bash to help create the backup, but I'm hoping
restores would just be a quick Bacula restore job. I haven't worked with Bacula
before this, and don't know if there's an option to do it for me already, so I
thought I'd ask here first. If I do have to script, some pointers on how to
hook it all up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken