Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How To Change User or Group of Running Bacula-SD

2016-07-07 11:40:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] How To Change User or Group of Running Bacula-SD
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:04:17 -0500
This question is directed to those familiar with the packaging of Bacula for
Debian Linux systems. I am completing the installation of Bacula (v5.2.6) for
a Debian "Stable" ("Jessie", v8.5) system and have a question about the user &
group identity of the bacula-sd daemon.

>>From running the command `ps -ef` I determined that the default identity is
user: bacula & group: tape. Since I'm doing backups only to disk, for
convenience I want to change the group to bacula, but I haven't been able to
figure out how.

Unless I've overlooked something the documentation states only that you CAN
change the user & group of the running daemons but doesn't explain how. By
examining the manual pages for the daemons I saw the options "-u <user>" & "-g
<group>" that could be added to the bacula-sd command so I attempted to add a
"$ARGS" argument to the bacula-sd SysV init file. It didn't work. I'm pretty
sure that I did this correctly but bacula-sd always runs as bacula/tape. (FYI,
this worked in previous versions of Bacula that I have used.)

What have I missed & where can this be changed?

Thanks!

--
C M Reinehr
AMS Enterprises, LLC.