Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Struggling with full disk

2016-07-07 11:34:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Struggling with full disk
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 11:34:02 -0400
On 7/6/2016 10:55 AM, cdn wrote:
> Hey,
> I am pretty new in bacula, but started a solution to backup my server via
> internet through a vpn tunnel. Everything works well, but I am struggling
> with my disk space:
>
> I am using a RAID 5 for saving my backups. In my bacula-dir.conf the
> following pool is definied:
>
> Pool {
>    Name = File
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>    AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>    Volume Retention = 30 days         # one year
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 4000G          # Limit Volume size to something
> reasonable
>    Maximum Volumes = 100               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
> }
>
> But after a while the disk running out of space. Why bacula will not delete
> old files?

Bacula never automatically deletes a volume file. When a volume is
purged, or when the last job is pruned, its status changes to Purged,
but that only happens in the catalog database. The volume file itself
will still be the same size after it is purged. It will remain that size
until it is recycled and used by a job. When a job writes to a recycled
volume it will be erased and rewritten. This is on purpose, as Bacula
keeps the data intact as long as possible. To reclaim the space of
purged volumes BEFORE they are recycled and used by a job, use the
Truncate command from within bconsole. It is possible, for example, to
have a daily Admin job that issues the Truncate command to reclaim the
space being used by purged volumes.