Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"

2016-05-06 21:47:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"
From: Pann Tolk <pann.tolk AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 09:46:11 +0800

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@bmrb.wisc.edu> wrote:
On 05/06/2016 01:05 PM, Pann Tolk wrote:

> ...  So, a single photographic outing
> will easily cost us 300-400GB worth of storage.

How many trips per year?

Long  (12-15days): 1 or 2
Short (5-7 days) : 1 or 2
Local events: 4-6
Then there is ad-hoc kind of outing (example to local reseved forest)
Family gathering photos, etc

So, I can easily hit 1TB worth of storage (RAW + processed JPG + MKV slideshows) in a year.

I've syncthing copying our "Public picures" (using gameOS at home)
folder between the TV PC and the Gimp/turbotax/everything else PC. (Plus
I don't reuse the sd cards, I just buy new ones and put the old ones in
a wallet.) Ideally I'd like to have a copy off-site somewhere, and I do
actually have most of them on my parents' computer as well (I bring the
next batch over every time I come to visit) -- but realistically if
something completely wipes out my home, loss of the pictures will be
fairly far down on my list of problems.

I have a SAMBA server sitting at a corner in my home office.  This is my primary storage where all the photos, ripped FLAC music collection, shinny discs ISO rips.

Regarding CD/DVD/Blurays, if you have young children handling them, you will know what happen after few handlings by them - the discs get not so shinny after a handful of uses.  Continue on, it becomes unreadable.  This is a personal experience.  That's why I rip them. The kids access those titles (complete with cover art) via Andriod based media centre boxes.  No physical medias to handle.

Then there is the other PCs in the house to backup...especially the laptop belonging to my wife.  I run full metal recovery backup + snapshots (using Veeam Endpoint Backup Free) of her MS Windows laptop.  The backups go to the SAMBA box.  So this SAMBA box has become my most critical box in the house and I have to have a good backup solution.

Some day I might get a raspberry pi and see what I can do with that and
an external disk enclosure... anyway, I don't believe a backup solution
(not singling out bacula) is the right tool for archiving my pictures.
IMO, YMMV and all that.

I think I came a cross someone doing that with Raspberry pi.  He had some issues with vchanger compilation and libudev.

Backing up rule 321 says to have 3 copies, in 2 media types and 1 offsite.  Backing up to disks is part of my solution.

Ok...think we are getting OT here :p

Pann