Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"

2016-05-06 00:42:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"
From: Pann Tolk <pann.tolk AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 12:40:06 +0800
Hi Dimitri,

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu> wrote:
On 05/05/2016 05:55 AM, Wanderlei Huttel wrote:

> I understood that you have 4 hard disks ,so you need 4 magazines and 4
> Devices in bacula-sd.

No you don't, you need one autochanger and one device in bacula-sd,
posted config is correct.

Yup.  That is what I understand as well.  You only need a minimum of one device per autochanger.  Even if you have 100s of physical disk drives (magazines) in rotation, you need only one device for the autochanger.

If you have autofs mounting them, have you tried

magazine = /mnt/vchanger/1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7
magazine = /mnt/vchanger/412060d2-7be4-4719-8089-2ee6cfd28624

instead of "uuid:..."?

Not yet try that.  This is my first attempt to configure Bacula.

My previous understanding is that I have to configure both udev and autofs in order for the ease of plug-n-play.  However, Josh's reply to my initial message mentioned that I "should not configure for both autofs and udev at the same time, but rather one or the other".

With that from Josh, I'm going to use udev instead for plug-n-play.  That way, even less technically inclined people (eg wife and children) can help to swap the set of disks (magazines) from the 2-slot hotplug dock with another set of disks for Bacula to use.

Furthermore, do you intend to use more disks?

Yes, I have intention to use more disks in future if the need arises...maybe even 4TB / 8TB drives.  This is the reason why I used vchanger with Bacula.  Else, I'll just add more SATA ports and permanently mount the drives. :)

The 5th disk will have a
different uuid and you'll have to update all your configs. Whereas
mounting them as /mnt/vchanger/1, /mnt/vchanger/2, etc., and using those
in "magazine =" should sidestep that issue.

I'm not sure if I really understand the above.  But let me try:

IF I use udev, then when I add more drives, I'll have to add "magazine = UUID:..." to /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf.  Also, I'll need to run vchanger-genudevrules > /etc/udev/rules.s/96-vchanger.rules.

if using_udev = true
  if add_more_drives = true
    append "magazine = UUID:..." to /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf
    run vchanger-genudevrules > /etc/udev/rules.s/96-vchanger.rules
 endif
endif

BUT, IF I used autofs, then when I add more drives, I'll only have to add "magazine = /mnt/vchanger/<UUID>" to /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf.

if using_autofs = true
  if add_more_drives = true
    append "magazine = /mnt/vchanger/<UUID>" to /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf
 endif
endif

Are there any other config files to modify that I missed out?

Thanks.
Pann