Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"

2016-05-06 07:41:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Pann Tolk <pann.tolk AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 07:40:53 -0400

On 5/6/2016 3:07 AM, Pann Tolk wrote:
Hi Josh,

May 06 14:34:06 deneb systemd-udevd[2578]: '/usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-launch-mount.sh 1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7'(err) '  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class'
====>> May 06 14:34:06 deneb systemd-udevd[2578]: Process '/usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-launch-mount.sh 1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7' succeeded.

^^^
^^^ Here, udevd says that /usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-launch-mount.sh script has completed running successfully.

Udev expects any scripts launched by udev rules to execute quickly and not cause delays, therefore the vchanger-launch-mount.sh script launched by udev simply causes the /usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-mount-uuid.sh script to be invoked as a background process and then terminates. So a success simply means that vchanger-launch-maount.sh successfully invoked vchanger-mount-uuid.sh in a background process, not that it mounted successfully.

The default mountdir is /mnt. To mount under say /mnt/vchanger it is necessary to set MOUNTDIR=/mnt/vchanger in /etc/sysconfig/vchanger. Alternatively, you can use a line like

UUID=1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7 /any/existing/directory/name ext4 defaults,rw,relatime,data="" 0 0

in /etc/fstab to cause vchanger-mount-uuid.sh to mount it wherever you like. When specified as magazine=uuid:, vchanger will lookup the mountpoint using libudev and so doesn't really care where it gets mounted. When using magazine=/some/static/path, it must be mounted at the specified path.

You can umount the partition and then run vchanger-mount-uuid.sh (as root) with the uuid as its only parameter to see what it does. Unfortunately, the script is very simple and doesn't provide logging.

A point to note about the kernel reporting that it has mounted the filesystem.  When I checked with mount command, the filesystem was not mounted.

[root@deneb ~]# mount | grep vchanger
[root@deneb ~]#

Don't know why.  Did /usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-launch-mount.sh actually mounts it?

No. /usr/libexec/vchanger/vchanger-mount-uuid.sh does. If mount info for the partition is not specified by uuid in /etc/fstab, then it mounts it at $MOUNTDIR/$1, where $1 is the filesystem UUID. So you can use mount | grep 1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7 to find it.

Anyway, to test further, I manually mount it:

[root@deneb ~]# mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7 /mnt/vchanger/1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7/
[root@deneb ~]# mount | grep vchanger
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/vchanger/1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7 type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=""> [root@deneb ~]#

Then, I did what you mentioned:-  I modified /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf and changed the bconsole="/usr/sbin/bconsole" line to bconsole = "".

Then I tried the following again.

[root@deneb ~]# vchanger /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf listmags
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
0:18:1:/mnt/vchanger/1fde15be-83a4-4b67-accc-378d5fa10ea7
1:::
2:::
3:::

So vchanger is working properly when run as root. What does it do when you run that same command as user bacula:tape? Are you sure bacula-sd is running as user bacula:tape? vchanger must run as the same user as bacula-sd. It could still be a permissions issue. You can set 'log level = 7' and 'logfile = /path/to/logfile' in vchanger.conf to debug vchanger, but you must run it as user bacula:tape to debug if it is a permissions issue.

[root@deneb ~]# vchanger /etc/vchanger/vchanger01.conf list
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
device-enumerator: scan all dirs
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/bus
  device-enumerator: scanning /sys/class
1:vchanger01_0_0
2:vchanger01_0_1
3:vchanger01_0_10
4:vchanger01_0_11
5:vchanger01_0_12
6:vchanger01_0_13
7:vchanger01_0_14
8:vchanger01_0_15
9:vchanger01_0_16
10:vchanger01_0_17
11:vchanger01_0_2
12:vchanger01_0_3
13:vchanger01_0_4
14:vchanger01_0_5
15:vchanger01_0_6
16:vchanger01_0_7
17:vchanger01_0_8
18:vchanger01_0_9
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:
32:
33:
34:
35:
36:
37:
[root@deneb ~]# bconsole
Connecting to Director deneb.chuakt.local:9101
1000 OK: 102 bacula-dir Version: 7.4.0 (16 January 2016)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
*update slots
Automatically selected Catalog: MyCatalog
Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
Automatically selected Storage: vchanger01
Connecting to Storage daemon vchanger01 at deneb.chuakt.local:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "SATA-vchanger01" has 0 slots.
No slots in changer to scan.
*

In the end, I'm still getting the error in bconsole:

Device "SATA-vchanger01" has 0 slots.
No slots in changer to scan.

By any chance I may have misconfigured something within bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf?

Thanks again,

Pann