Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"

2016-05-06 14:07:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger 1.0.1 says "No slots in changer to scan"
From: Pann Tolk <pann.tolk AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 02:05:37 +0800

On 2016-05-05 23:40, Pann Tolk wrote:

> With that from Josh, I'm going to use udev instead for plug-n-play.
> That way, even less technically inclined people (eg wife and children)
> can help to swap the set of disks (magazines) from the 2-slot hotplug
> dock with another set of disks for Bacula to use.

Well, if bacula properly supported disks as backup media, that may have
been true. In reality they'll need to run "vchanger initmag" and "label
barcodes/update slots" every time, so the amount of plug'n'playing you
can achieve is somewhat limited by that.

Hmmm... I don't think initmag is part of vchanger 1.0.1.  Besides, wife/children only need to swap the harddisks for backups.  The rest of the heavy lifting will be performed by the sysadmin.

The advantage of permanently mounted drives is bacula will run pretty
much unattended if your storage as a single partition. We have one
server where I am gradually replacing 4TB drives with 8TB 'archive'
drives -- ZFS filesystem lets you do that with no downtime. It also lets
you configure your disks into software raid sets: very handy when using
commodity SATA drives that tend to randomly die and take away all your
backups.

Yes, with spinning disks getting cheaper and higher capacity, what's to stop a home user from using it as a solution for home backups of their precious vacation photos and videos ;)  My wife and myself are semi-professional photographers.  We shoot photos in RAW format with DSLRs.  Each one of our shot is ~45MB.  We used to make photographic trips.  And each time we'll come back with over 250GB worth of shots in RAW format.  We keep all of our shots (yes...even those that are badly taken :P).  Then there is the work flow to process those photos into other formats (eg JPG and MKV for slideshows).  So, a single photographic outing will easily cost us 300-400GB worth of storage.

This Bacula + vchanger setup is just the primary backup solution I'm looking into.  I have intention to later rsync (with encryption) the backup to a remote location.

Pann