Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Request for help

2015-02-02 03:36:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Request for help
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Ben Erridge <bene AT cyberoblivion DOT com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 09:34:03 +0100
I do not remember ever saying that forks are bad, though somewhat jokingly I wrote a blog "Not all Forks are Bad", which should convey the idea that I am not particularly in favor of forking (i.e. starting a new project) in most cases.  Note, I use the word fork in the original sense of creating a new project while git people typically use the word fork these days to mean "make some changes" as probably 99.9% of git forks are really just patches to the original and not a new project.

I have heard the arguments about me blogging about Bareos being bad for Bacula and just advertising Bareos, and though there is something there, I think the advantages of telling people the truth outweigh the disadvantages of solely hearing very well crafted spin-doctoring from Bareos.

If you look at the Bacula Systems vs Bareos lawsuit from the point of view of the Bacula Systems board of directors, which is responsible for assuring the salaries of quite a few people including the open source "fanatic" founders (6 of the 8), you might understand that when someone steals code that differentiates (short term) Bacula Enterprise from Bacula community, which is what permits those employees to live, you will understand that Bacula Systems had no choice. To do nothing would have been a blank check to steal even more code.

Unfortunately, there are very few open source companies that survive only on improving the product and selling services -- the world does not (yet) work that way.  Open core companies can, however, survive if they work very hard, and most open core companies contribute back to the community.

Best regards,
Kern