Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Help with monitoring/tunning Bacula v5.2.5

2015-02-01 13:36:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] Help with monitoring/tunning Bacula v5.2.5
From: akent04 <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:33:56 -0800
"We are using Bacula 5.2.5 to backup a server with a huge amount of files.

After a full backup was done (It took 3+ days), the incremental took 10+ hours.

Notice the lines in the log:
27-Jan 23:10 server-xxx-fd JobId 1157: /run is a different filesystem. Will not
descend from / into it.
28-Jan 09:16 server-xxx-fd JobId 1157: /boot is a different filesystem. Will
not descend from / into it.

We are not defining the size of the volumes, so all the data from the job goes
into just one volume.

We have 3.4M files in this incremental.

Could this be the cause of the delay?

What would be the best approach to tune this beast?

Thanks!

Log:
27-Jan 23:10 server-xxx-fd JobId 1157: /dev is a different filesystem. Will not
descend from / into it.
27-Jan 23:10 server-xxx-fd JobId 1157: /run is a different filesystem. Will not
descend from / into it.
28-Jan 09:16 server-xxx-fd JobId 1157: /boot is a different filesystem. Will
not descend from / into it.
28-Jan 09:16 server-xxx-sd JobId 1157: Job write elapsed time = 10:06:52,
Transfer rate = 253.8 K Bytes/second

.
.
.Non-fatal FD errors: 0
SD Errors: 0
FD termination status: OK
SD termination status: OK
Termination: Backup OK "

Hi Sergio,

I noticed in your log at the very bottom that the transfer rate was only 253.8
KB/s. This seems low if you're running the backup on a server that is connected
locally(not via the internet). What are you backing up to? If this is a tape
drive or an Ethernet networked device it should not be transferring that
slowly. I have a backup that runs over a slightly slower ethernet link(a 36mbps
wireless bridge) and runs around 1321 KB/s.

I guess I would need to know if you're expecting the transfer to only work at
253 KB/s for some reason. If not, you would have to investigate why it's that
slow. I don't think it would be a Bacula problem as much as an issue with
something else. It could be a physical problem(SAS/SCSI cables/Ethernet
cables/Switch/Ethernet card) or software such as config or buggy drivers.

Andy