Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite Storage

2015-01-26 08:22:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite Storage
From: Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:16:22 +0100

Am 23.01.2015 um 09:27 schrieb Uwe Schuerkamp:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 06:30:01PM +0000, Damien Hull wrote:
>> I've asked this question before, but I don't think I got enough information.
>> Here's my situation
>>
>> 1.      I have three offices in different physical locations.
>>
>> 2.      Each location has between 200 GB to well over 1 TB of data.
>>
>> 3.      I would like to backup data between offices for offsite storage.
>>
>> 4.      I can't wait weeks for data to be copied between offices
>>
>> I know some commercial software allows you to "seed" the backup.
>>
>> 1.      Copy data to an external drive
>>
>> 2.      Mail the drive to another office
>>
>> 3.      Copy the data over - Your backup is now "seeded"
>>
>> 4.      Backups are now faster because you don't have to copy everything.
>>
>> Can bacula handle this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> While I'm not entirely sure bacula could handle *all* of this, I'm
> pretty certain you can come up with a clever solution based on rsync
> and bacula.
>
> It depends on how much data changes on all of the servers involved,
> but I'd imagine the following setup would be possible (given that disk
> space is cheap):
>
> - seed the backups using a mailed drive / tape on local storage,
>   ideally connected to your local bacula server
>
> - rsync changes nightly over to the offsite locations (runbeforjob?)
>
> - backup your local file system copies on a local library at the
>   offsite locations, using the local bacula instance

Why would you want to use rsync for that?

bacula can do base jobs (see the bacula manual). You can use them as a
"seed" backup. I.e. make a base backup to data media of your choice and
mail them to the remote site.
Then you can do remote full/differential/incremental backups using a
remote bacula sd over a secure connection (ssh, vpn). If full backups
are too big to do them over the net, you might want to mail these as well.
For managing local and remote media, I think two pools associated with
the local and remote storage devices would do the job. After mailing the
remote media you would then move them from the local to the remote pool.

Of course you can add copy jobs to keep local and remote copies of the
backups.

Regards,
Georg

--
PGP-Key: 0x1E320E65
D150 7783 A0D1 7507 1266  C5B3 BBF1 9C42 1E32 0E65

I don't like the idea of secret agencies to analyse and archive
personal communication. GnuPG is available as open source, free as as in
freedom, as a countermeasure. I use http://www.enigmail.net/ for Mozilla
Thunderbird. If you can, please use a frontend of your choice to send me
encrypted e-mail. See http://www.gnupg.org/ for an overview.