Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite Storage

2015-01-23 03:29:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite Storage
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Damien Hull <dhull AT tikigaq DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:27:53 +0100
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 06:30:01PM +0000, Damien Hull wrote:
> I've asked this question before, but I don't think I got enough information.
> Here's my situation
>
> 1.      I have three offices in different physical locations.
>
> 2.      Each location has between 200 GB to well over 1 TB of data.
>
> 3.      I would like to backup data between offices for offsite storage.
>
> 4.      I can't wait weeks for data to be copied between offices
>
> I know some commercial software allows you to "seed" the backup.
>
> 1.      Copy data to an external drive
>
> 2.      Mail the drive to another office
>
> 3.      Copy the data over - Your backup is now "seeded"
>
> 4.      Backups are now faster because you don't have to copy everything.
>
> Can bacula handle this?
>
> Thanks!

While I'm not entirely sure bacula could handle *all* of this, I'm
pretty certain you can come up with a clever solution based on rsync
and bacula.

It depends on how much data changes on all of the servers involved,
but I'd imagine the following setup would be possible (given that disk
space is cheap):

- seed the backups using a mailed drive / tape on local storage,
  ideally connected to your local bacula server

- rsync changes nightly over to the offsite locations (runbeforjob?)

- backup your local file system copies on a local library at the
  offsite locations, using the local bacula instance

All the best, Uwe

--
nionex GmbH --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA