Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job

2015-01-26 12:50:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:48:23 +0100
Hello Kern,

On 23.01.2015 19:22, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

On 01/21/2015 06:41 PM, Bill Arlofski wrote:

> Bacula has a hard-coded 6 day limit on a job's run time.   518401 seconds =
> 6.00001157 days, so it appears that is the cause for the watchdog killing the job.

Hard-coded, huh? Nobody's tried backing up that big data I keep hearing
about?

Yes, but nobody was interested in changing it to the config parameter. It is possible that someone did that in 7.x, I need to check.

No, there is no change in the hard coded 6 day limit, and at the moment, I personally am not planning to implement anything, for two reasons: 1. I would like to limit the number of new Directives to what is absolutely necessary because there are already more than I can remember.

I'm sure we can find a number of directives we can safely remove to make a place for this one.

2B clear, I'm not personally afflicted by this limit.

  2. In my opinion, any Job that runs more than 6 days is virtually destined to have problems during restore -- i.e. you will likely have backup dates that span 6 days of time in a single job.  That appears to me to be something very undesirable.

Yes, 6day backup seems undesirable. But when it is an archive or disaster recovery backup or it is a backup from snapshot. The data remain consistent during a backup so no need to worry about it.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net