Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library

2014-12-04 11:39:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library
From: Ian Lord <lordi AT msdi DOT ca>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:33:58 +0000

Hi,

We are looking for a solution to backup freebsd machine with large ZFS pools (8TB)

We thought of purchasing a tape library with LTO6 drives which will gives us 40TB of Retention

Everyone seems to indicate bacula as a good solution but when I look at the documentation, it seems 10 years outdated:

http://blog.bacula.org/general/supported-autochangers/

I can’t complain because it’s open source and I really respect the concept and know how documentation is hard to maintain, but I would like to know if I can be safe to purchase a 7000$ library, a new server running freebsd and that it will work. This is not the kind of things I have sitting in my lab J

Is anyone running such a setup and can assure me it can be done without too much customization and troubles. If I know it can be done for a normal poweruser (I’m not a programmer that can modify source code to fix things). I’ll invest time in learning and reading documentation, but it will be a lot more reassuring to know people done it before

Thanks

Ian Lord

MSD Informatique

143 Rue des Fauvettes