Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library

2014-12-04 12:22:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library
From: Ian Lord <lordi AT msdi DOT ca>
To: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:18:41 +0000
>Dunno about prices in .ca but south of your border $5K will buy you a
>36+2-bay chassis where you could keep a whole lot of zfs snapshots.
>Probably 72+2 even. What's your planned retention period?

>Dima

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know I am going against the trend as everyone is talking about using HD as a
backup device, but we are looking as something "my life will depend on". If we
were to loose data, we would end up with a multi-million dollars law suit and
we'll just go bankrupt.

As we are a SAAS solution, everything is already redundant, we can drop a plane
in one of our datacenter and customer won't even notice (technically speaking)
as everything is load balanced and replicated live across the sites.

We have very high security with loadbalancers, IDS, DDOS protection, etc.

But let say a hacker would manage to get in and play around, or even an angry
employee, or...
A simple "rm -r /" and all of our protection is gone. Our 2 distant copies and
the zfs snapshots also...

It's kinda hard for a hacker to format all the tapes in a library furthermore,
some tapes will be put in a safe...

I love the idea of using HD, so simple, cheap and fast, but if you need
absolute peace of mind, I think a tape backup is much more reliable in this
sense in my opinion.

That's why I'm trying to see if bacula could be a good solution in our scenario.

Thanks