Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library

2014-12-04 11:54:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell powerVault 124T tape library
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Ian Lord <lordi AT msdi DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 11:51:58 -0500

On Dec 4, 2014, at 10:33 AM, Ian Lord <lordi AT msdi DOT ca> wrote:

Hi,

We are looking for a solution to backup freebsd machine with large ZFS pools (8TB)

So far, I like what you’re doing.

We thought of purchasing a tape library with LTO6 drives which will gives us 40TB of Retention

Everyone seems to indicate bacula as a good solution but when I look at the documentation, it seems 10 years outdated:

http://blog.bacula.org/general/supported-autochangers/

That’s a blog entry.  By its nature, it is dated.

 I can’t complain because it’s open source and I really respect the concept and know how documentation is hard to maintain, but I would like to know if I can be safe to purchase a 7000$ library, a new server running freebsd and that it will work. This is not the kind of things I have sitting in my lab J

I am sure others are using LTO-6.  You’ll see them pipe in here soon.

Is anyone running such a setup and can assure me it can be done without too much customization and troubles. If I know it can be done for a normal poweruser (I’m not a programmer that can modify source code to fix things). I’ll invest time in learning and reading documentation, but it will be a lot more reassuring to know people done it before

Bacula talks to the SCSCI interface, not to the tape library itself.  If it talks SCSI to FreeBSD, it should just work.

Shameless plug: come to BSDCan 2015 and we can talk more about this. ;)

—
Dan Langille